Thursday 27 October 2011

Journal Day 31

Missed a few days writing purely for the fact that I didn't feel I had anything to say! Yesterday we had more life drawing, which I yet again enjoyed, and surprised myself with my enjoyment of the day and of drawing.

(Photos to come soon)

Then today we had an small exhibition of our work in the 2D section to show what we have done so far. I don't have a picture at the moment, but I chose 3 of my projects that I wanted to continue with or that I felt were interesting to develop or linked to a speciality.

I chose photography, because I was pleased with the images and feel that photography is something I am comfortable with. I also chose the Kit project as I feel that as a project it can be developed, and also that it linked to a newly found interest. Creating the kit project linked me to sculpture and architecture and interactive, installation designs.

Plus I chose life drawing for all the above reasons :).

From wondering around everyone else's work, I am required to find and tell another person what I like about both their work and drawing book. Just to note it down here, There were two pieces that really stood out to me. Harriet Bruces's life drawing and journal drawings were particularly strong. She works with basic line drawings in pen, using hashing for shadows and tonal shading. Her accuracy and realism makes them outstanding, particularly if you have seen, in person, what she is drawing, for its incredible likeness.  Her accuracy and smooth line with the pen help to create a flowing drawing that blends well with the realistic style.

Cassie Allen also had a great drawing book, with great note taking and idea development, but little research. Not many of us have managed to combine it all. I think I certainly need to improve on my research, not just doing it, but on putting it into and including it in my work and journal.

I don't know the name of the other student's work, but there was a painting, that I showed here the other day, that I thought was stunning. I thought that the huge range of colours really complimented each other and gave a whole new feel to the surroundings of the person. That, combined with the dripping and layer of the paint, takes the subject out of any context or reality, and into a new world or background. This creates a space for the viewers imagination to fill in the gaps. Something I think is simple but very effective, and is something I often like in artwork. The application of the paint, with layers, thick textures and dripping is also something very attractive. It adds yet another dimension to the piece and makes the background feel as though it is melting, adding to the possibility of the subject being anywhere. Personally, with the cold, blue colours, I feel like it is an winter setting. For the exhibition the student was asked to create a larger, similar piece, seen below. You can see the photo she is working from; the plain, boring photo from which she has taken the main features and elaborated upon. She has taken something plain boring and simple and made it interesting and beautiful; something I love the idea of. This was a great response in terms of the language of the paint, and is obviously something that she has done before. Most of us paint novices's stood out, we experimented with the paint and our paint brushes and didn't really create anything with a composition or subject; we just painted. This is many ways is a contradiction to the "language" of paint, as there is nothing be said and nothing being expressed with the basic explorative paint actions.



Now, from my own work I feel that I maybe need to do more drawing in my drawing book, I am certainly trying now that I am in 2D, but so far I have felt uninspired and that there wasn't much drawing to be done in 3D. 2D has really surprised me, as it has inspired me. I think that I wasn't expecting to enjoy anything and now that I am learning new skills and techniques I am enjoying, I am being inspired by them. Print today in particular. (more on that to come tomorrow perhaps?) But, now that I am interested and inspired I need to focus and get stuff down in my drawing book. I need to write and brainstorm and draw.

I want to develop the life drawing processes, and perhaps move it further into illustration. I will be taking part in the illustration workshop option next week to explore this. I have found that my rough, sketchy style of drawing, that comes from drawing textures and patterns in textiles can be applied into life drawing as it doesn't need to be perfect. But that I can also draw reasonably accurately, especially when using a measured technique. As I have said before I honestly never thought this would be the case. In life drawing also, there is chance to focus on the smaller details; the folds, creases and textures of the body. Where does it curve in or out? How can I draw the creases in his or her armpit or knee? So far my main struggle with this has been transferring that interest in detail into the face of the figure. Next week is the last week of instructed life drawing and so I will take advantage of that and gain some tuition in how to draw facial features. to match my style. I tried this week, as the face was upside down to me and mostly concealed and did just fine, but am not sure how it will go when I am faced with having to draw the face properly. Likewise the feet and hands are something I have been avoiding but must learn.

Otherwise I think it is important for me to continue using worksheets as a way of developing ideas. I like working small scale in a drawing book to develop smaller ideas, but found through the kit project that worksheets are an effective way of pulling together these ideas to form the bigger picture of an idea. Combined with mind maps, sketches and research I can take the ideas into the further stages of development. This worked well for me with kit, although I still prefer my drawing book for smaller, detailed sketches.

Abiento x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!