Friday 11 March 2011

My time in Vancouver.... so far

I head over to Vancouver Island today and to be honest I really enjoy the ferry trip! As lame as that might sound, it reminds me of when I used to do the trip on holiday as a kid. I used to enjoy taking the old (old old old very old) ferry and being able to see the crystal clear line between the channels that meet between the mainland and the island. One is dark blue and the other a bright baby blue, and they do not mix at all. I used to delight over this and always remember it making me happy :) Oh that and the occasional sighting of an orca on the trip over!

When I lived in Vancouver, the ferry ride became a time to chill out and do work in peace. But it also meant sweet potato fries!! The cafeteria at UBC only ever did regular fries, even though they had daily special fries (which was curly fries EVERYDAY). They served sweet potato fries just twice while I was there, and they are hugely popular so would sell out within minutes. Taking the ferry however meant having this yummy treat! When I would visit my mum on the island we also had a routine of going out and getting sushi with sweet potato fries, which is a bit of a random mix, but very tasty! So, sweet potato fries are very much associated with Vancouver Island for me :)

I will be doing more detailed posts on the places I visited while I was in the city soon, but for now here is a sneak peek photo of Jas and I at her birthday dinner, with the information that I went to Gastown and Granville Island. If you're interested, look them up! Otherwise keep reading and I will tell you more soon.....


Abiento x

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that ferry ride! but I never discovered the sweet potato fries. Love to your Mum too xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!