Thursday 8 March 2012

{Bringing Home the Bacon When Your Blog Isn't Huge} Alt Summit Channel



Morning! Now, sadly, due to some posting issues my last course post slipped into the nether regions of the world and probably wasn't seen by most. So I may need to do a little bit of explaining. Forgive me for simply cutting and pasting from said post.

"Since I began my foray into blogs and the whole world that comes along with it, I have slowly discovered the amazing world of conferences that the US has to offer. From those specified to wedding photographers, to those, like Alt Summit, that are for designers and the like. Well, like I said, the conferences take place in the US. And sadly, I live in little old Cornwall! Hopping on a plane to Salt Lake City really isn't option for my measly student budget. However, from following the blogs of the people who not only attend, but also speak at these conferences I found that Alt Summit has a new venture; Alt Summit Channel. The lovely people behind Alt Summit decided to share the knowledge of their friends through short online courses that only cost $15 (roughly £10!). I signed up for 4 of them pronto!"


So, a week ago I had the first course; Content is King. Last night I had my second class Bringing Home the Bacon When Your Blog Isn't Huge. Both of these have been with 26 year old Melanie Blodgett who runs You Are My Fave


To be honest, out of the 4 classes I signed up for, this was the one I was least worried about. I won't say that I wasn't looking forward to it, because of course I was. However making money from blog isn't my first priority right now. I know that in order to make money my blog needs to be bigger and better. I'm just not fussed that it isn't that right now. All I want is for my blog to be at a stage where once blogging is as popular in the UK as it is in the US, that it can help to make me a profit and give me a following that could support my business. Right now, I'm in a place where my blog can't feasibly get much bigger or better- I may only be a semi student, but that still comes with hours that need to be filled in certain places, and that doesn't leave much time for running a blog.


Anyway, let's move on to the class. 







The number 1 thing I learned and know I have to implement? Putting myself out there to get opportunities. The phrase 'If you don't ask, you won't get" is more true in the freelance world than it is anywhere else. Hearing this confirmed for me that it's okay to be the annoying person asking. It's not just annoying even. In fact it shows determination, dedication and interest all of which are things that potential employers cannot help but like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!